You are stuck in a snow storm (or a sand storm), or you are lost in the bush. Describe your last moments. How will you react?
Ive decided to slightly tweak the question above and answer in more of a “what should you do” kind of method if you are stuck in a snowstorm in modern times so keep that in mind. I know when most people think of these scenarios most people are optimistic they would survive but honestly if I was caught in a big snowstorm I don’t think the chances of surviving would be that high (especially since I’ve dealt with snow maybe 2-3 times in my life.) However, saying that there are a couple of things I know you can do to increase the likelihood of surviving.
The scenario – You were driving along on your way to visit some friends when suddenly the snow storm hits, You knew it would be snowing tonight but not this bad. As you go to take a corner your car hits a patch of black ice, causing you to slide, lose control and veer off into a ravine. You and your car are miles away from anywhere, the closest town is 50kms in either direction, you’re not going to be making that walk, your only option is to wait the night out.
1. Stay calm! – This is super important, everyone knows the moment you start freaking out is the moment you start becoming irrational and making really bad decisions. You stuck in this snowstorm. accept that fact, you cannot change it, you can, however, change what you’re going to do to maximise the chances of your survival.
2. Keep covered – I’m assuming in this scenario you would have known you were going to be in snow so you are wearing snow appropriate attire. Make sure to keep your body covered in all the clothing you have.
3. Run the car – Run your car for about 10 minutes every hour, This is going to keep everything from freezing up, and who wouldn’t want 10 minutes of full blast heating?
4. Try ring for help – If you have reception (high chance you won’t) ring for help. If not conserve battery on your phone, turn off all the apps and set it to power saving mode.
5. Insulate yourself – If you have any books in your car its time to use the paper, yes it will suck ripping out all the pages from books but your life is much more important. Rip the pages out and scrunch them into balls, place these between your clothing layers (if you don’t have more than just a shirt on, place them within your shirt). This is going to help insulate your body and help you keep your body heat.
6. Try to stay active – try and stay active, obviously, you can’t do a whole bunch inside the car but try to keep your body moving, this is going to keep your body temperature up.
7. Don’t eat raw snow – Don’t eat raw snow, this will drastically lower your core temperature and the whole idea of this is to survive. You can, however, melt snow to drink to stay hydrated. You can do this if you have a bottle, put snow in it and have it between your legs or body and use your body temperature to warm it up.
8. Keep hydrated – make sure to keep hydrated, use that melted snow as a water supply.
9. Stay positive – You need to stay positive, keep telling yourself you are going to survive if you loose the hope or will to survive then chances are your probably not going to survive.